A Brief History of the Line
The Surry, Sussex & Southampton (SS&S) was a common carrier that was owned by the Surry Lumber Company in Virginia.
Their main freight traffic was logs and finished lumber. The line ran from Scotland Wharf on the James River to Dendron where the shops and lumber mill were located.
From there, the line went west and crossed the Norfolk and Western at Wakefield, VA. There was a NG-SG interchange or transfer there.
Several logging branches broke off the main and from the logging branches the temporary woods tracks would be laid. The woods tracks were worked by the 0-4-2T "Donkeys".
The 2-8-0's or "Jacks' would pick up the loads and bring them back to the mill. The finished lumber was the shipped to Scotland Wharf to be picked up by first Schooners then steamships for the Northeast.
There was one scheduled passenger train #2, that made a couple of round trips from Scotland Wharf to Dory on the west end of the main line.
The road operated with link and pin couplers and without air brakes even after they were mandated by law since they didn't cross state line or interchange with any other NG. They were prosperous until they cut all the trees in Eastern Virginia and there was no more reason to exist.
The mill closed and the line was torn up in 1931.
There should be a couple photos in the Slimgauge files section of the underpass at the NS(N&W)crossing and a boxcar under restoration. It should be in a folder titled Virginia Narrow Gauge.